Like eggplant parmesan? Well, you’re going to loooove eggplant mozzarella. Imagine ooey gooey melted mozzarella layered on top perfect prosciutto, bold marinara, and crispy-crunchy eggplant. Did I mention all of this is on top of roasted asparagus. Yeah– this combo is a winnner!!
Eggplant Mozzarella with Roasted Asparagus
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 eggplant, pealed and sliced
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara [mine is Wegman’s Grandpa’s Sauce]
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 large bunch of fresh asparagus
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- clean + snap asparagus. place in oven safe baking dish. drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with s+p and lemon juice. roast for 15-20 minutes, or until bright green + tender.
- meanwhile, sprinkle eggplant slices with salt to draw out the moisture for 30-50 minutes.
- rinse eggplant slices off with water + pat dry.
- next, mix bread crumbs, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and Italian Seasoning in a medium bowl with a large opening.
- heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large pan over med-high heat.
- begin breading eggplant by dipping in egg wash and then into bread crumb mixture. repeat with each eggplant slice.
- place eggplant slices in pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- then reduce heat, spoon marinara over each piece of eggplant, place a piece of proscuitto on top of marinara, and finish with the mozzarella on top.
- for you veggie lovers out there–skip the proscuitto part [and save it for me!]
- finally, remove asparagus from oven, and turn the broiler on high.
- place pan with eggplant stacks under broiler to melt the mozzarella.
- to serve, layer asparagus with the eggplant stacks on top.
sprinkle with chopped parsley, if you’re feeling fancy!
ya dig? dig in.