I may have mentioned that this past week my husband and I were on Spring Break [let's take a moment a remember...ahh]. With both of us being teachers, we happily got to enjoy this time off together. Originally we had planned to go away, but with gas prices soaring and serious-relaxation needed…we decided to make it a stay-cation instead. Truth be told- it was the best stay-cation I’ve ever had!! We slept in late [which for me is 8:30--watch out!], went to the movies, stayed in our pj’s until noon, went on day trips, and seriously just enjoyed not having an agenda what-so-ever.
Our non-agenda having schedule led to late breakfasty-brunchy meals like this one! My good ole’ use whatcha got mentality gave birth to this little bowl of heaven. Have it for a breakfasty-brunchy meal of your own–or have breakfast for dinner [one of my faves!].
Breakfast Carbonara served over Butter Grits
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups jarred marinara
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 packets of instant butter grits [Quaker Instant Butter Grits]
- 1 cup pepperoni, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp EVOO
- saute spinach in EVOO over med-high heat until wilted. sprinkle with lemon juice and salt + pepper.
- add marinara and pepperoni and stir well to combine. then create 2 holes in the middle of the marinara mixture. in those holes crack the eggs. cover and cook eggs to desired hardness.
- meanwhile- cook instant grits in microwave according to package instructions.
- serve by layering grits in shallow bowl and topping with marinara + egg mixture.