You know that hunk of beef that is shoved to the back of your freezer? The one you found on sale and just had to get, but now is becoming an ice-block?? Yeah, that one. Well grab it- thaw it- and throw it in the crock-pot for 8-10 hours on low and make yourself [and anyone else who’s lucky enough to join] these deelicious tacos. This taco puts up a fierce fight to any California Tortilla or Chipotle burrito/taco. Seriously. AND because this is a crock-pot meal you can throw it in the morning, do your thang, and come back to it ready to shred and throw in a taco. Boom. Easy-peasy….
Crock-Pot Carne Asada Tacos
- 2 lb chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2-3 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 tbsp cumin
- salt + pepper
- raw chopped onions
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- greek yogurt
- cheese sauce**
- begin by putting beef into crock and covering it with the liquid ingredients. add garlic powder, 2 tbsp chili powder, red pepper flakes, and s+p to taste. put the lid on top, set to low, and cook for 8-10 hours.
- fast-forward 10 fragrance-filled hours later—> remove beef from crock-pot. shred beef in large bowl. add one cup of liquid from crock-pot into shredded beef to prevent any drying out. add cumin and 2 tbsp chili powder. stir well. time to taste test. if you want it a bit hotter [oh yeah] add some more red pepper flakes to the shredded beef.
- place desired amount in tortilla and top with your choice of toppings.
Queso Blanco anyone?
**Wanna go the extra mile for that restaurant style taco? Thought so.
you will need:
1 1/2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
[Almond milk works well!]
2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
1 cup shredded cheese of choice
[I used colby-jack]
begin by melting butter in a small sauce pan over med-high heat. once butter is melted, slowly start to whisk in the flour. once all the flour is whisked in and a paste is created, start to slowly whisk in the milk. once all three ingredients are combined, continue stirring until it begins to thicken. you can always add a little more flour to get it a little thicker. once slightly thickened, continue stirring and slowly start adding the shredded cheese. once cheese is combined, stir in the chili garlic sauce for the add kick.
break me off a piece of that!
make these and your dinner table will be silent…
in the best of ways.