Some days you just need a hot meal that warms your tummy & your soul. This is one of those meals. There’s just something about macaroni & cheese that just screams comfort food. This loaded mac screams YUMMMMMM! I used kielbasa sausage that Kevin’s grandfather gets special from NY. It’s certainly not a requirement in this recipe, any sausage that you have or particularly like will definitely work it’s magic. However, I will say this kielbasa gave this meal a fabulous smokey flavor that married so nicely with all the cheesy goodness.
I took a lot of little shortcuts in this meal because lets face it, it’s a weeknight meal and I don’t know how your weeknights are but ours are cray-zee biz-eee. It’s like a revolving door between meetings, soccer practices, adult league games, grad classes, gym classes and appointments. If I’m getting dinner on the table it needs to be a one-pot, one-casserole wham bam thank ya ma’am kinda deal. Yep, fast & easy. That’s how we like it in the Weis household. 😉
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Empty frozen broccoli into a large sauce pan over med-high heat. Cover and let steam stirring occasionally.
- While broccoli is steaming, begin boiling water for pasta. Cook pasta al dente, drain & rinse and let cool.
- Add onions and sausage to steamed broccoli. Season with salt & pepper and stir in EVOO. Cover over medium heat and let simmer together (stirring occasionally) for 7-9 minutes or until sausage is browned and onions become soft.
- Pour jarred alfredo over sausage mixture, sprinkle in 1 cup of shredded cheese, season with nutmeg & red pepper flakes and stir well.
- Spoon alfredo mixture into a greased casserole dish (9x13). Cover with remaining cheese & crushed fried onions.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.