Zucchini season is almost over, so use’em while you’ve got’em! That’s my mentality at least. And why not? They’re so delicious…yes, I realize just about anything fried is deelicious. But come’on, even just sauteed [and not
fried] zucchini is one of my favorite veggies.
But these little guys. Yeah. They’re knock your socks off deelish. By “flash-frying” them you create the great crunchy outer layer that surrounds the tasty tender center. By themselves they’re a treat, but paired with the sriracha aioli??! Hold. The. Phone. Yep, hold it. They’re that good.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large sauce pan.
- Set up breading station with 3 bowls. One for eggs, one for flour, and one for panko bread crumbs. Mix spices in with panko bread crumbs and stir well.
- Then bread the zucchini by 1st dusting a zucchini slice in the flour (both sides), then dip into the eggs, then back into the flour, back into the eggs and then into the panko mixture. Place breaded zucchini on a clean plate and follow same routine with each zucchini round, until you're ready to fry.
- Test oil to make sure it's hot by placing one zucchini round in the oil. If it sizzles and starts bubbling it's all set to go. If not, wait a bit longer. Don't get the oil too hot. If it starts smoking, turning down the heat!
- Place breaded zucchini rounds in oil for about 1-2 minutes per side. Once edges start turning golden, flip them. After both sides cook completely, remove from pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Salt rounds while still hot.
- Meanwhile to make aioli, mix ingredients together in a small bowl, and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately! Dip in aioli & enjoy!