I’ve been seeing various versions of these “oven” tacos floating around on pinterest lately. It really is a great idea and once you see something on pinterest 2, 3 or 12 times it makes an impression. All of the versions I’ve seen used either ground beef or ground turkey with taco seasoning. I decided to give it my own spin, use what I had on hand, and try to make the healthiest option without sacrificing any tasty flavor.
I may have mentioned my love affair with rotisserie chickens… besides being mouth-watering delicious, they’re cheap and go the distance if used correctly. I usually get one on Sunday and pick it apart until it’s perfectly shredded. Then I’ll use the shredded chicken in tacos like these, in soups, salads and in sandwich wraps. It makes life easier when trying to pull lunches together for the week & throw weeknight dinners on the table. And yes I throw dinner on the table, often. Dinner guests learn to catch..quickly. 😉
- Place taco shells in an oven safe casserole dish. Stand shells next to each other so that all shells are standing up straight. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon black beans and chicken mixture into tacos. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is heated through.
- Remove from oven, finish with desired toppings, and enjoy!