IT”S SUMMERRRR!!! Life’s been a little nutso lately, as if my bloggie absence wasn’t HUGE indication of that. I can honestly say that I’ve never needed summer more than I did this year. I just need a moment. Like 20 minutes people. Can I just unplug and recharge? Is that even possible? Between a super-stressful teaching year, working on my master’s degree, working a second job, buying a house, moving…yeah yeah yeah. Not one to complain but all these things add up to one simple conclusion…some summer-style R&R is NECESSARY — especially before all the house projects begin! 🙂
summer things I’m into —
- THE FARMER’S MARKET — local blogger Sarah Kurtanich enjoying the sights and scents @ Frederick City Market // photography — Emily Gude
- Sunday’s — Frederick City Market // 9am -1pm
- Tuesday’s — Carroll Creek // 4:30pm – 7:30pm
- Thursday’s — Shab Row // 3pm – 6pm
- Saturday’s — West Frederick Farmer’s Market // 10am – 1pm
2. SUNSHINE READING — Sunshine reading? Yes. It’s sunshine reading because it’s reading for pleasure — not for work or grad class & because it is my hope to most of my muy contento reading by the pool or any remotely clean body of water this summer…I’ll make it work. The Washington Post put together a great list of reads from the year so far ^click on books^… but I’m excited to sink my teeth (pun intended) into this baby first…Kitchens of the Great Midwest: a Novel “Born into a food-obsessed family, Eva Thorvald finds her solace and salvation in the flavors of her native Minnesota. From Scandinavian lutefisk to hydroponic habaneros, each ingredient represents one step in Eva’s journey as she becomes the chef behind a legendary pop-up supper club, culminating in an opulent feast that’s a testament to her spirit and resilience…By turns quirky, hilarious, and vividly sensory, Kitchens of the Great Midwest is about the bittersweet nature of life–it’s missed opportunities and its joyful surprises.” Yeah, no relatable aspect there.
Take me out to the frickin ball game! Seeing the O’s play at Camden Yards is so quintessential summer to me. Gimme a Stuggy’s Crab Mac & Cheese Dog and a Natty Boh (#bringbackboh) and we’re in business!
Who’s up for a hike? It is the National Park Service’s 100th birthday…might be a good time to pay a visit? A hike with this view is worth the hoofin’ — Harpers Ferry lends itself to wonderful trails, views, history, and hikes for all walks of life. Not to mention you can cool off after your hike by floating your tired booty down the river.
DC adventures are always top of my list — no matter the season. However this summer I WILL make it to the famed Eastern Market. I WILL 🙂
4. FRESH + TASTY COCKTAILS This time of year just makes me thirsty. Probably because I am simultaneously sweating while doing…just about anything. (btw custom doormat from Etsy — Fox & Clover Boutique ). I want to sip on something so good that makes me borderline pissed — Bridesmaids’ style.
You know what I mean? I want fruit and leafy-herbs STAT. Can’t go wrong with some cocktail inspo from Cooking Light. This Blackberry Limeade & Honey-Lemon Spritz will definitely be making an appearance at my next girls-night get together. Yep. Basic AF.
Enjoy your summer friends. Do the things, eat the stuff, go the places, drink the drinks and use the snapchat filters…especially this one. #magic